More Yarn Will Do The Trick

Wednesday, 28 September 2011

Bread, cats and the knitted textile awards 2011

Lots to do since we got back from Ireland, but Philip found some time to make bread - wholemeal, spelt and rye.  I love it, specially slathered in butter just out of the oven, with Marmite for breakfast or for a quick ploughman's lunch with plenty of cheddar and apple chutney - I can feel the pounds going on as I write!

One fun thing we've done since getting back was to collect our new kitten, a Maine Coon called Arlo.  He's a very loving little fellow and is dying to make friends with our other kitten, Django, who's four months older.  Django's not so sure about this, but I can feel Arlo winning him over by the minute and I'm sure they'll soon be inseparable partners in crime.  


I was thrilled recently to be asked to be one of the judges of the 2011 Knitted Textile Awards  at Alexandra Palace next week.  My friend, Sasha Kagan, and I had a wonderful time in Harrogate last year judging the gorgeous submissions.  There's such a wealth of design talent in Britain and it's inspiring to see all the fabulous pieces.  However, this year's awards coincide with my mother moving into a local care home - she needs lots of support both in the moving and also settling into a new place, so reluctantly I won't be heading for London this time, but hoping they ask me again next year.

It's National Knitting week 3-10 October so I've got my thinking cap on, considering what I can do to heighten knitting's profile.  Autumn is certainly the time to get your needles going again. I love starting new projects at this time of year and I automatically gravitate to the reds, golds, and burgundies that make autumn sparkle.  That reminds me it's time to get the wood delivered for the winter - if only you could bottle the smell of wood smoke.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by, please leave your message here.